Visiting Professor Program (VPP) Fact Sheet
2017 VISITING PROFESSOR PROGRAM (VPP) FACT SHEET
“I really enjoyed being assigned to a single account and having a person to shadow. Rachel was very patient and welcoming as I followed her around every day. She included me in everything and was very thorough with explanations.”
“While most professors have some practical experience in a given area of the industry, none of us have experience in all areas, but are expected to counsel and prepare students of all interests. Furthermore, since this is a fast-paced and ever-changing industry, the VPP allows us to understand changes through an immersive experience that we wouldn’t get anywhere else, or any other way!”
Professor Sabrina Habib – Winthrop University
“Sabrina was absolutely fantastic. She contributed during brainstorming sessions and a seminar. She worked on an account from strategy, creative development to final project. Ties were developed. We are going to work on getting a few Winthrop students into our summer internship program. Sabrina’s Lunchtime Talk topic – looking at creative from another angle was very insightful.”
Dot Gianonne, EVP, Account Management -Young & Rubicam
The Advertising Educational Foundation invites you to apply to the
Visiting Professor Program (VPP)
February 17, 2017
The VPP is a seven-day fellowship for professors of advertising, marketing, communications and the liberal arts. It allows professors and industry to develop a mutually beneficial relationship and to share research. The VPP gives professors a greater understanding of the industry while host companies have an opportunity to develop closer ties to academia. Professors witness first-hand the day-to-day operations of a company, while bringing academic expertise to that company. In addition, host companies tap into research and expertise from an academic POV as well as establishing a connection to students for internships and jobs.
1) Two-day Orientation w/four companies: (½ –day at each company) – June 8-9, 2017
2) Individual fellowship with host companies: June 12-16, 2017
3) Lunchtime Talk on his/her area of expertise and how it relates to advertising. Talks should be 20 minutes maximum, include advertising and be concise. Note: With the professor’s permission, the Talk may be videotaped for streaming on aef.com.
4)Contribution of a fresh perspective and critical thinking to a relevant issue for the host company by sharing your research, a white paper, etc.
2017 VPP: June 8 -16
Professors are chosen by the VPP Selection Committee and will hopefully be placed with host companies in Chicago, New York City and other major cities. Apply only if your academic and personal responsibilities allow you to participate for the full seven days.
Notification: April 2017
Those who are placed with a host company must have a conversation with the host company to discuss mutual objectives prior to the program.
Housing and Expenses
Housing is provided to professors who are traveling from another state. Professors who reside in the host city are expected to provide their own housing. All professors will receive a stipend. Professors pay for travel to and from the host city, as well as out-of-pocket expenses.
Submit your application on aef.com by February 17, 2017. Complete the VPP application; upload your CV, statement and two-minute video (see details below).
Statement and supporting items
Your statement and research will help a potential company determine your fit within their organization. Please be concise when making your points and limit your statement to 500 words maximum. It is very important to succinctly communicate the topic of your Lunchtime Talk – 20 minutes (not including Q & A). Letter of recommendation (on school letterhead and signed by your department Chair) must be emailed, as a Word or pdf document, to Sharon Hudson at firstname.lastname@example.org by February 17, 2017.
Your two-minute video will also help a potential company determine your fit within their organization. Videos shot with a cell phone or a computer’s webcam are acceptable. We are not looking for sleek, professional videos. Please hold cell phones horizontally when making your video and please send it via Dropbox. Videos must cover one of the following topics below:
- Most interesting teaching moment or research finding in your career
- Most interesting/surprising/impressive example of advertising/marketing that has caught your eye in the past year or two, and why
- Discuss something about you that is not on your application
- What is your passion?
- Most striking thing you have noticed about student culture today on your campus, especially as it contrasts with student culture from your own days as an undergrad
- A teaser about your Lunchtime Talk/Research
- Check your calendars before submitting an application as you are expected to be available for seven days.
- Whether a professor is placed with an agency, a marketing or media company depends upon his/her area of expertise.
- The number of placements in the VPP depends upon the number of companies willing to host a professor.
- Preference is given to professors with little or no industry experience and to those who have not already participated in the program.
- Professors who are placed should know that programs will differ – no two programs will be alike.
- Please do not apply if you have applied more than three times.
- The VPP is currently only offered to professors teaching in the United States.
For any questions, email Sharon Hudson.
Just getting started? Check out our Career Guide to jump start your career.Learn More